Course and Exam Policies
POC offers a number of Zoom courses, recorded courses and a Trained Professional Organizers exam. This page contains important information about the policies and procedures for these educational offerings.
Zoom Course Information
Trained Professional Organizer (TPO) Exam Information
- Completion of all core classes and any two (2) specialty classes is mandatory in order to write the exam. POC members who have been a member for a minimum of the past 3 consecutive years can challenge the exam.
- Only POC members are eligible to write the Trained Professional Organizer Exam. Become a member.
- Exams are currently held twice per year, in the Spring and in the Fall. Exams are currently done online via Zoom.
- Registration closes approximately 5 days before the day of the scheduled exam.
- No late registrations will be accepted.
- Transfers / refunds will only be provided in cases of:
- POC error;
- accident causing bodily harm;
- a death in the family.
- Waitlists cannot be accommodated; sign up early to avoid disappointment.
- Correspondence will be directed ONLY to the address in your POC profile.
Please note: The POC Trained Professional Organizer program is a TRAINING program, not an ACCREDITATION program, and as such does not entitle the organizer to use words such as certified, endorsed, authorized, accredited, or qualified Professional Organizer in their marketing material, or the initials TPO following their name.
Extenuating Circumstance Request Form
POC members who wish to write the POC TPO exam outside of a Chapter-hosted location must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant is currently a POC member.
- Applicant faces undue hardship writing the exam in the standard manner (an unreasonable driving distance to the hosted exam location, for example).
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to find an invigilator to accept, administer, and return the exam. An invigilator may be:
- a professional bound by a code of ethics (lawyer, notary public, minister, etc.);
- or a TPO in good standing for a minimum of 3 years and a current member of POC.
- The applicant is responsible for any costs incurred (exam room rental, travel costs, invigilator fees, etc.).
- Applicant must write the exam within the Spring/Summer POC exam time frame.
- The Director of Education will approve requests on a case-by-case basis.
Email the following information to the POC Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org. POC will notify the applicant via email regarding the request and if approved will mail an exam to the invigilator.
Exam Accessibility Policy & Forms
“Academic Accommodation” consists of arrangements that allow a student with a disability a fair opportunity to engage in academic activities and fulfill essential course and program requirements. Accommodation does not remove essential requirements of a course or program. It does not fundamentally alter content of exams, standards for assigning grades, or requirements that students independently demonstrate their knowledge of course material.
Please reference the full Exam Accessibility Policy & Forms for more information. The form appendices are in PDF fillable format.
Start times for all courses are listed in Eastern Time (ET). The following chart serves as a guideline only. Please check how the Eastern Time zone compares to yours. It is especially important to be aware of how seasonal time changes affect check-in times as Saskatchewan, for example, does not observe daylight savings. Those connecting from out of the country will also need to determine the time difference between ET and their location. Various online sites are available to assist with time zone calculations.
|Pacific - BC||Mountain Alberta & Saskatchewan in summer||Central Manitoba & Saskatchewan in winter||Eastern Ontario Québec||Atlantic NB, NS, PEI, Labrador||Newfoundland|
|7:00am (7:00)||8:00am (8:00)||9:00am (9:00)||10:00am (10:00)||11:00am (11:00)||11:30am (11:30)|
|10:00am (10:00)||11:00am (11:00)||12:00pm (12:00)||1:00pm (13:00)||2:00pm (14:00)||2:30pm (14:30)|
|5:00pm (17:00)||6:00pm (18:00)||7:00pm (19:00)||8:00pm (20:00)||9:00pm (21:00)||9:30pm (21:30)|
|6:30pm (18:30)||7:30pm (19:30)||8:30pm (20:30)||9:30pm (21:30)||10:30pm (22:30)||11:00pm (23:00)|
POC reserves the right to cancel courses that do not have the minimum number of registrants. If a course is cancelled you will receive a credit that can be used towards another course in the future.